Command task or CT is conducted on the second day of GTO tasks. In Command task (CT), the GTO calls a candidate, makes him the commander and gives him an obstacle to cross similar to the HGT. All the rules of PGT and HGT apply here except the group rule. The GTO asks him to call two candidates of his group as subordinates to assist him in negotiating the obstacle. There is only one obstacle which the candidate has to cross using the helping materials provided and assistance of the two subordinates. Time allotted is 15-20 minutes.
In other GTO tasks, the GTO does not appoint a leader but in Command tasks you are made the commander. Here the ability of the candidate to give Command is tested along with other qualities like Effective Intelligence, Organising Ability, Power of Expression, Initiation, Self Confidence, Speed of Decision Making, Liveliness, Determination, Courage and stamina.
- Candidates are called one by one by the GTO. Before introducing a candidate to his command task a short conversation takes place between the candidate and the GTO. He may ask you certain questions relating to your day to day life, educational background or your performance in other tasks.
- Then the GTO will show you the obstacle you are expected to negotiate, explaining the structures.
- He will explain the colour rule, rule of infinity, distance rule and rigidity rule. He will also explain to you what materials and structures can be touched and which ones cannot.
- Then he will provide you the helping materials. You are expected to negotiate the obstacle using the helping materials provided.
- Then he will explain other rules which are to be followed while negotiating the obstacle.
- When he is done with his explanation you are allowed to clear your doubts, if any.
- Now he will ask you to call two candidates of your group as subordinates to assist you in negotiating the obstacle.
- Time allotted is 15 minutes and your time starts when he says, “START”.
- He may increase the difficulty level by changing the colour rules (he will make a structure red which was white previously so that you can’t use it now), restrict the use of certain helping materials, keep on reminding you about the time left etc.
- Throughout the task the GTO observes the candidates and notes points according to the proceedings.
HELPING MATERIALS :
- Wooden plank (PHATTA)
- Circular wooden log (BALLI)
- Ropes for tying
- Extra tools as per particular obstacle designs like rings, triangular bars etc.
RULES IN FGT :
- Colour rule : The structures are painted in different colours red, blue/yellow and white.
- White – Both candidates and helping materials can touch.
- Blue/yellow – Only candidates can touch, helping materials cannot.
- Red – Out of bound for both candidates and the helping materials. The surface of the ground is also out of bound for both the candidates and the helping materials.
- Rigidity rule : According to this rule two helping materials cannot be tied together to increase the length. However helping materials can be tied with the structures.
- Distance rule : According to this rule, no distance more than four feet can be jumped. The gap more than four feet has to be bridged using the helping materials to shorten the distance.
- Rule of infinity : This rule states that the start and finish line of the obstacle extends till infinity. The candidate cannot cross these lines directly.
HOW TO APPROACH THE COMMAND TASK (CT):
- During the short conversation, the GTO may ask questions relating to your day to day life, educational background or your performance in other tasks. Answer him confidently, it will make a good impression.
- The candidate must pay attention to the briefing given by the GTO about the obstacle. One must listen carefully to the minute details that the GTO mentions about the structures. Many times these small details provide the hints and clues needed to negotiate it.
- Call only those candidates as subordinates whom you find fit and can help you in the execution of the task. Command task takes place after PGT, HGT etc. so you have a fair idea about the performance of the candidates.
- Brief the subordinates about the task on hand like the GTO had briefed you. Give clear instructions to your subordinates and do not let them violate any rules or interfere with your ideas. This shows you are an organised person.
- Observe the structures carefully, they are simple and can be solved with basic intelligence. Using basic laws of physics like the law of lever, cantilever and fulcrum you can easily ace the task on hand.
- Do not just give orders or instructions to your subordinates. Ask your subordinates to do certain things and you yourself should be seen executing the task physically.
- There would be times when your subordinates are not able to understand your instructions . Do not shout at them, go ahead and do it yourself.
- The GTO may increase the level of difficulty in the command task . He may change the colour rules, restrict the use of certain helping materials, keep on reminding you about the time left etc. The idea is to see your willpower and how you perform under stress. Be calm and composed, your focus must be on the obstacles and how to solve it. Never give up, keep trying.
- When you are called as a subordinate, be obedient and follow the instructions of your commander. Do not give ideas or volunteer to do something unless asked by the commander to do so.
- After completion of the task, place the helping materials back at the start line and thank your subordinates for helping you out.
The soldiers in the Armed Forces look up to their commander for orders. Remember you are the commander, your tone should be commanding and at the same time behave politely with your subordinates. Moreover be confident, calm and composed.
Believe in your dreams, work hard and prepare well. You will surely succeed with flying colours.